Peekers and Seekers

Thursday, July 5, 2012

When I was a kid, and the weather was this hot, people used to say, "So hot, you could fry an egg on the sidewalk!"  We never had an egg to waste but I remember that often when it's this hot.  Besides, who'd want to clean up the mess?
I remembered recently how we had only one window air conditioner when the youngest of our 5 was a baby.  Quite often, on really hot evenings, my husband would round us all up and drive to the theatre nearby.  We lived in a north Minneapolis suburb; nobody in our neighborhood had central air back then.  A couple of hours would cool us off in the theatre and it was bedtime when we got home...cooler after dark.
The theatre was pretty new, had a balcony (most theatres didn't), and also had a 'crying room' up there.  It was a pretty large room with a wall of glass that allowed us to view the movie screen.  It had sound installed and plenty of room for a few families. 
Our car didn't have a/c either; we relied on a dip in a lake or turning the hose on the kiddies out in the yard.  As I recall this antiquated lifestyle, I see only smiling, laughing youngsters!  Happy memories.


Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.
  Deut. 32:2

No comments:

Post a Comment