Peekers and Seekers

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Garden update

Remember I said you could watch my garden progress (or lack thereof)?
I got the urge to make pickles for the first time...I love to eat pickles, but not to pay the high price...well, let me tell you:  making them is NOT cheap!
Here is the lovely green vine today:
Now, remember, I planted this in May...had blossoms and bees, but NO cucumbers!  What the heck is wrong?? 
Well, today I actually found ONE.  See how it looks? 

Since I was determined to make pickles, I went to the Farmer's Mkt. yesterday, bought cucumbers (and lots of other expensive ingredients) and made these:
Let's see...the cukes were $5, the vinegar and sugar was over $1, the special BREAD AND BUTTER pickle spice mix was $2.  I had the jars and onion.
So, it looks like it was about $4 per quart...but wait a minute!  They shrunk up and are floating.  The slices filled the jar yesterday, but today they're floating like a dead fish!  (So, it really turned out to be only 1 quart total). I snuck a taste today and they're pretty good.  Spice mix pkg. says to wait 3 weeks...um,m,m...I don't think they'll last.
Here's the pkg. I used; says it will make 2 quarts.
In Numbers 11:5, Moses tells us the Hebrews also liked cucumbers; this almost sounds like a recipe for some mighty fine pickles.

We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick:

No comments:

Post a Comment