Peekers and Seekers

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

looking in gift horse's mouth

I bake breads, cookies, rolls often.  My husband and I can only eat part of it, so I occasionally offer a loaf of warm bread or pan or rolls to neighbors.  When their gardens are producing, they usually respond with a few tomatoes or cucumbers.  But, one person offered me a can of green beans, assuring me I would love them.  She does.
Well, this is where the gift horse gallops in:  they were absolutely awful!  I opened and drained them, added them to my chicken-potato-cream soup casserole.  The beans were not only flavorless, but they had been canned with stems, bits and large, hard weeds (think little branches here)...oh, awful!  So my husband and I tried to pick out anything green and salvage the rest of the tasty dish.  Photos show our progress.
I'm still grateful for food gifts, but will be discerning in the future.

"They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share...I Tim. 6:18"

No comments:

Post a Comment