Peekers and Seekers

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Peak season

There's an abundance of local produce at the markets right now...it will continue for another 3 months...then the citrus and items from other states will be ready.  Food is wunderful!  It often makes me consider Adam and his produce.

Gen. 2:7...God formed man...I've heard that line, "from dust to dust...", well, not that He couldn't, but it seems to me God made Adam from CLAY, not DUST.  I can't imagine forming anything out of dust.  Dust is elusive, not malleable.  But clay, now there is a creative medium.  One could make wonderful forms, if one were creative...and that One, Creator-God was...er,er is.

Gen. 2:8  says God had already planted and established a lovely garden.  What better place to make the home for the first man?  As it turned out, he had food, occupation, nature to observe and great scenery.

When I try to imagine the scene, I haven't settled what age I think Adam was when created, or what he looked like.  Red hair or brown?  Bronze skin or pale?  And what was his age?  Could he have been a teen walking beside his Father learning his trade?
did Adam have to dig?  did he have to invent the shovel, plow or hoe?
Where did he get the first seeds?  Think of the size and quality of his produce.  The leeks, the cucumbers, the garlic...how did the curse of the ground effect his garden?  were there cut worms in the potatoes?  was he and his wife vegetarians?
I'm glad the first farmer began the long tradition of producing produce, grains, seeds...all the items we love to eat.  Mostly, I'm thankful to God for creating the garden and the worker in the very beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment