Peekers and Seekers

Thursday, September 1, 2011

day-old smoke odor

I put three small potatoes in the microwave oven for 4 minutes yesterday, then left to pick up the gr-kids at school.  Gone maybe 20 min.  Came home to find garage door open, smoke drifting out, fans running.  Either my microwave malfunctioned or I accidently hit 40 minutes instead of 4, but was gone only 20...guess I'll never know which action caused it.  The potatoes and ceramic dish were totally incinerated, the inside of oven was black...and 20 hrs. later, we're still trying to be rid of the odor.
The result was that the microwave died...shorted out?  melted the element?  But, since that and my toaster oven are my main source of cooking, I need to buy a new one today.
Sometimes I get this feeling like my insides are filled with pickle brine...the only way I can define it.  Get that way when I've made a mistake or made an unkind or untruthful comment...occurrences that one can't call back and eliminate.  (does this sound like confession?)  Feeling irresponsible since...probably because I'm a controller, and this was obviously out of control.
 I'm rationalizing the event:
40 minutes?  but only gone for 20 minutes.
microwave malfunction?  can't even remember when I bought it, but it's pretty old.
But the scary part was my husband was home and is legally deaf...couldn't hear the smoke alarm unless he was next to it.  Thank the Lord, my granddaughter was home upstairs and heard the alarm.  She asked his advice and he walked her through controlling the noise, smoke.  About that time I arrived.
So, today I have a new rule for me in my part of the house:  NO COOKING ANYTHING UNLESS I'M HOME...I don't even trust the crockpot now.
Once again, my God protects us.
"This is God, our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death.  Ps. 48:14"

No comments:

Post a Comment