Peekers and Seekers

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Imagine the garment

Since I was about 8 years old, I've been looking at fabrics.  It was at that age, my mother enlisted me to darn socks, sew on buttons and mend tears.  She had an old treadle Singer, but broke out in a sweat if she had to try to use it.  Before long, I was helping with the mending and also, making doll clothes.
I, out of necessity, made my three little girls' underwear, dresses, nightgowns, even coats.  I recall buying yards of lingerie fabrics and elastics from bins on the second floor in the garment district in downtown Minneapolis.  The two older girls would play quietly under the bins while I shopped with another on my hip.  Munsingwear was the 'cadillac' label at that time and I could buy silky lengths for a nickel or so per yard.
I learned to make wedding dresses, drapes, even shirts and ties for my husband.
So, when I began my quilting business for 15 years, it was a natural.  God gave me 'an eye' for coordinating fabrics and colors.  I used this to help my husband with his weaving enterprise when he lost his hearing.  I thank God for the many years I've worked with lovely fabrics.
When I saw a photo of the recently retiring Pope, my imagination kicked in:  who might be the farmers who grew the crops or raised the animals used to make these?  where might the weaving looms and shops be located?  are the craftsmen and women famous now because of their role in dressing the world famous Pope?  What fine fabrics,! and what about the embroideries?  real gold?  precious jewels?  what does the pressing room look like?



Then I thought of the only garment Jesus wore that was fine enough that men gambled for it.  The seamless robe He wore to the execution site.  Why was it seamless?  I gather from John 19:23, it was unusual or valuable:
"Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took His garments and made four parts, to each soldier a part, and also the tunic. Now the tunic was without seam, woven from the top in one piece"
In my mind, I can see a man or woman sitting on a dirt floor of a house in Jerusalem, before a loom, weaving a single piece.  But, to construct it without seaming?  Not getting that image....
The tunic is believed to be the garment worn by Jesus Christ prior to his crucifixion, quoted in the Gospel of St. John as “seamless.”
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/04/christs-seamless-tunic-on-display-for-first-time-in-16-years/
...ummm, I don't think so.  (My opinion)

No comments:

Post a Comment