Peekers and Seekers

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Took a 'long winter's nap'...

from Blogging.  Perhaps you didn't even notice...but, I've thought about it.

One of my many grandsons gave me a book for Christmas.  His pastor wrote My One Word.  The concept is to choose just one word that represents what you most hope God will do in you, and focus on it for an entire year. He explains how that one word may lead to character building and gives personal illustrations as evidence.

Well, I thought about it and MY One Word is IMAGINE.  I've used my vivid imagination in relating scenes in the Bible to myself and others over many years.  The scripture jumps out to me when I imagine the scene, sounds, sights, characters. 
This week, I've been thinking about how it might have gone when Jesus' body was lifted down or off the cross. We begin to think about the Bethlehem scene weeks before Christmas.  It's the same with Easter, for me, and Lent begins on February 13; that's a sobering time preceding a day of great joy:  RESURRECTION-FREEDOM-VICTORY DAY.
My IMAGINATION worked this past week on what took place that day there.  We know only men could prepare the body for burial.  Only men had the strength to carry Jesus' body down and away.  Joseph of Arimathaea took down his body and prepared the body, then buried it in his own burial space.  Luke 23:53
He must have been a man with resources, surely he enlisted help to this.  Did the disciples help?  Were they not present, that they didn't take charge of this themselves?  We know John had been there because Jesus made him 'caretaker' of His own mother.  Did the men wash and prepare the body in the cave that held the tomb?  Did they weep?  Did they worship Him for the first time?  How did they tell the event when they shared the scene with friends and family? 
What a life changer that would be.  It so greatly changed MY life, and I wasn't present then, but since...in my heart and mind.

I don't intend to take another 3 month hiatus.  Please 'pop in' often to see where else my IMAGINATION takes me?

Above:  roomful of ossuaries in a Nat. Geo. article: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/episodes/in-search-of-jesus-tomb/

No comments:

Post a Comment