Peekers and Seekers

Thursday, October 6, 2011

an old custom

Tomorrow begins Yom Kippur for 24 hours.  I read about an unusual tradition of some that occurs just before this holy day.  Kapparot is a custom in which the sins of a person are symbolically transferred to a fowl.  Well, a chicken...rooster for a man, hen for a woman.  Here's how it works:

...held above the person's head and swung in a circle three times, while the following is spoken: "This is my exchange, my substitute, my atonement; this rooster (or hen) shall go to its death, but I shall go to a good, long life, and to peace." The hope is that the fowl, which is then donated to the poor for food, will take on any misfortune that might otherwise occur to the one who has taken part in the ritual, in punishment for his or her sins.

Oh, my...do I ever have questions.
the sacrifice for my sins must be perfect and acceptable
it (He) must be the price paid for my atonement (making me ONE with God...Jehovah God)
I would first confess and repent of my sins, and by faith agree with God...and ...and wait!!
Hold the phone!  I wouldn't look very repentant while giggling about the sqwauking bird sailing overhead.
I'm not making fun of their custom; I'm sure they're serious, sincere in it.  But, they're missing one vital item:  GOD'S ONLY SON IS THE ONLY SACRIFICE HE WILL ACCEPT.
My sacrifice, Jesus Christ wasn't donated to the poor for food, but went directly to sit next to God to await the arrival of all who put their faith in HIM, not in a chicken.

What do you think of this?  please comment.
the site where I learned this:  http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/kapparot.html

1 comment:

  1. That is so weird! And where does it take place? The kitchen? Living room? Porch? Yard? Right outside the food bank? Do you invite your friends to do it with you, or is a personal thing? Do you get to choose the color of your hen? Do the kids ever want to name their sacrifice? Is the spinning symbolic in any way? It seems the chicken is like a voodoo doll, taking on the events as punishment, whatever should happen. This is so interesting! -MLZ

    ReplyDelete