Peekers and Seekers

Friday, March 25, 2011

I remember when, in elementary school, (mine was near downtown Minneapolis) we used to bring our dimes (only) to school and slip them into a small cardboard folder.  When it was full, we would receive another.  I think it was all for the war effort of WW2. Or just after the war??
Those were the times when money, even lowly coins, were important... our military needed these monies.  Oh sure, we had paper drives and soda bottle drives, turned in our damaged pots and tires, etc.  But they all required a bit of 'elbow grease', worked up a sweat to collect and pull wagons full to the school grounds or wherever the collection station was.
But, to slip a dime into the folder...to hold something in our hands that was valuable...something that could represent a paper bag of penny candy or a music magazine with the words of all the popular songs...to give ME pleasure...Well, I guess it gave me pleasure to do my small part to help the military overseas, fighting to keep me safe.  It seems patriotism encouraged even children differently then.
I had one uncle in the Army and one uncle in the Coast Guard...the least I could do was bring my dimes and place them in the folder.

Here's something to make you smile...can't you just see that fat-tummy, smiling bear say,

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them"

No comments:

Post a Comment