Peekers and Seekers

Thursday, September 9, 2010

witches, 'n goblins, oh my!

The closest I've come to a witch in my adult life (that I know of) was about 14 years ago when I worked in a stationery shop.  A co-worker, male, early twenties, learned I was a seasoned baker (seasoned: aging quickly, leaning slowly).  He asked if I would bake a lovely pumpkin pie for him to tote to a Halloween 'function' he would be attending.  The holiday was approaching and he planned to bring the pie to the gathering of his like-minded friends (like-minded: witches and warlocks gathering in Ashville, NC suburbs, (suburbs: wooded area). 
I had too much 'on my plate' as it was, and declined politely.  I had NO idea what the function was OR that he was one of the afore-mentioned persons.  If I had known from the onset, I still would have declined politely, but SUPER QUICKLY!
I was reminded of this 'dark' character when I read an article this morning about the WITCHES of Romania, and their economic struggles.
"(2)Lawmakers ...of the ruling Democratic Liberal Party drafted a law where witches and fortune tellers would have to produce receipts, and would also be held liable for wrong predictions, a measure which was part of the government's drive to increase revenue.

Romania's Senate voted down the proposal Tuesday. ....the lawmakers were frightened of being cursed."
It seems our nation's lawmakers deal with citizens some would call 'witches and fortune tellers', and I'm SO thankful the Lord didn't give ME that role (lawmaker).  So, as Halloween approaches, I caution you:  think twice if asked to bake a pumpkin pie for unfamiliar gatherings.




No comments:

Post a Comment