Peekers and Seekers

Sunday, June 3, 2012

A little light on the subject...

I've bought about the cheapest light bulbs for years...I mean, what can be so different, whether expensive or not...a light bulb by any other name....
I like a lot of light, so though my bathroom fixture warns "Do not use stronger than 60 watt...", I've always used a 75 watt.  It seems lately they only last about a month or so, then burn out.  Only a few days after replacing the last one, it suddenly exploded...very loud 'pop', little smoke...but not to worry.  The bulb stayed lit.
I removed the opaque cover, the light was still burning, so left it off.  The bulb is no longer covered, but working fine.  So, I just don't have the fancy cover...OK.  Lowe's no longer sell the incandescent bulbs stronger than 60 watt.  I found them at Target, but much more expensive than they used to be:  4/$7.15.  (used to pay 4/$2 or so).  All this is to segue to this article I found today:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-old-neon-20120526,0,7105298.story

"A long-forgotten neon lamp that was switched on during the Great Depression and left burning for about 77 years has been discovered hidden behind a dusty partition at ...(shop in L.A.)  The find was made amid an extensive renovation of the downtown eatery, according to the building's owner...
The neon fixture is believed to have been installed in 1935 ..."

Now, that's a light bulb!  "Neon lamps can last 20 to 40 years before the glass deteriorates or transformers go out,"  "That this one has survived, lit, for as long as it has is incredible."
They estimate that the neon tube has racked up more than $17,000 in electrical bills.
Light bulb free, electricity...not so much, er...er cheap.





No comments:

Post a Comment