Peekers and Seekers

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Diaries and letters...

I'm not a consistent writer in my diaries, but I have boxes of them going back almost 50 years. I surely write many letters.  More by email, but still many by post.  I love writing them more than I do receiving them.  (don't let that discourage you from sending the one you're composing to me just now).
Often I read the synopsis of a book listed in Amazon...while reading this today in TRUMAN by David McCullough I learned:
Harry wrote at least 1,302 letters to the love of his life, wife Bess, during 49 years.  Also, thousands more to his mother, sister, cousins, old Army friends, fellow politicians and editors.  As well as many diaries. 
We could know him well by the wealth of material he composed.
Letter writing is a dying art.  For 20 years I've enjoyed creating colorful and unique envelopes for my words of greetings and information.  Through sharing these with others, I've made friends with some met through internet groups who also are fond of this pastime.
Reading about Harry was a connection with another who enjoyed the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment