Peekers and Seekers

Monday, February 23, 2015

C-c-c-old!

 


Icy AND cold!  But, it's winter; what can I expect?  Just to cheer me up, I ordered a big order of flower seeds last week.  I love this photo and would like to have this in our yard someday (only in my dreams?).




from Annie's Annuals

I have a new constant companion:  my iPad.  Life is different with it...it's more than like; I love it.
The first book I downloaded was a new best seller entitled Burial Rites.  Today I ordered The Far Traveler.  Both are historical fiction, well researched.

Kent's book is about the first woman sentenced and executed for killing another.  The role of women and the life of this woman reveals life in early Iceland. Exploring the final months of an Icelander maid charged with murder and condemned to execution in 1829.  I found it beautifully written and well researched.
The Brown book is about the sister-in-law of Leif the Red who sailed to the new world 500 years before Columbus.  She lived there three years, gave birth to a baby, before going back. This, also, is about Iceland.  I like to learn about other cultures and know little about the Vikings.

I share these with you because I first heard of them in another's blog.  Neither of these were in my local library, so I purchased them.  Also, I've been known to re-read a book or two.
I learned long ago that God gave the gift of languages, books, printing so we might be equipped to read His Word...what a gift to also be able to read other books and learn even more.  He has given us those who wrote the scriptures and preserved them for us, and He has given gifted writers today who inform, inspire, encourage us to learn even more.  I thank Him today for the gift of words and understanding.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment