Peekers and Seekers

Sunday, October 7, 2012

How many words left in my Word Bank?

One speaks only a certain amount of words during their lifetime and then they're done.  When the 'breath of life' has left, they're done speaking.  Right? 
I've lived alot of years; too many to waste any that's left...or my words, either.  I will spend some words writing in this blog.
It's raining and dark as I write in mid-morning on Sunday.  While listening to Alistair Begg's message (really good on gospel), I thought of this illustration on Redemption and Reconciliation:
Years ago, before charging items on a credit card and immediate possession, we would put the item on 'lay-away'.  Put down a small amount, take home a payment book, pay regular payments until the price is paid.  On the day I paid the last bit, handed in the book and received the item I had hoped for, waited anxiously to use or wear.  That day the item was paid in full: REDEEMED !  I finally owed no more...it was mine.
(Almost 50 years ago, I dealt with Jesus concerning my sinful life and pledged a lifetime allegiance to Him: I was redeemed, purchased by His payment).
Let's imagine my item was my mixer or  toaster oven.  I would hug that long waited for box, take it home, rip off the box and enjoy getting to know how to use it.  It was mine!  It had been redeemed and I could wear it out if I so chose.  Getting to know all it could do, becoming 'friends' with it, showing it to others or using it to share with them...that's the reconciled part. 
Just so, Jesus has become my 'friend'...and He calls me His friend, also.  This is a pretty simple illustration of redeemed and reconciled, but I'm hoping it might be helpful to someone reading this.
Oh...my mixer isn't my best friend, just my kitchen friend.  Jesus is my very best friend.

Please email or comment if this isn't clear or you have questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment