Peekers and Seekers

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

retro words

I grew up in a home where name calling was just part of the language residing in our conversations.  We had words and names for races or individuals that today are considered prejudicial and rude.  But, if called on it, we'd defend our words with, "Aw, quit yer bellyachin'...didn't mean nothin' by it, ya know."
Today most of those same titles are offensive to many and not 'politically correct'.
Jesus died for the WHOLE world and those who walk with Him are heartbroken when they hear those terms now...AT LEAST I AM!!
So, I was surprised this morning when I listened to a 10 minute Bible study on the internet and heard the word 'gypped' applied to an Israeli tribe in the Old Testament.  My antennae went up; I haven't heard that title for many years.

Being "Gypped" is offensive to the Rromani, i.e. "Gypsy". That is where the word "gypped" came from.  http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/576962
The Roma people live in many places in Europe...this recent photo is a girl in France.


Isn't this little girl beautiful?  My daughter knew of many when she lived in Romania earlier this year.  I hope I don't hear the verb 'gypped' ever again. 

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer."  Ps. 19:14

                     

No comments:

Post a Comment